BT832 Series BLE, Bluetooth 5 Module
The Best Bluetooth 5 and Mesh Network Solutions
Hard to reach nodes are likely in mesh networks. BlueNor BT832 Series Bluetooth 5 modules are the best solution for mass Bluetooth 5 deployment and for use in mesh networks.
- Develop your Bluetooth 5 products using BT832, a low cost Bluetooth 5 module with Cortex M4F, $5 each at 1 pcs.
- Upgrade with BT832F Bluetooth 5.0 module for 270 meters average range, at 7.5 mA peak current.
- Upgrade with BT832X (nRF52832 + power amplifier module) for 1170 meters average range.
- Upgrade with BT832XE (nRF52 832 + power amplifier + u.FL module), when an external antenna is required. BT832XE is the longest range Bluetooth 5 module, 1350 meters, omni directional
- Upgrade with BT840F (nRF52840 module), Bluetooth 5, Thread, Zigbee, CryptoCell 310 co-processor, 510 meters range at 1Mbps, 13.6 mA peak current.
- Upgrade with BT840E (nRF52840 + u.FL module), Bluetooth 5, Thread, Zigbee, CryptoCell 310, >1000 meters range at 125 Kbps, 13.6 mA peak current.
- Upgrade with BT840 (nRF52840 module), a lower cost, smaller size, shorter range alternative of BT840F.
- Reduce cost by using BT832A (nRF52 810 Bluetooth 5 module), 192KB flash/24KB RAM, no NFC, $3.75 each at 1 pcs.
- Reduce cost and increase range by using BT832AF (nRF52810 module), 192KB flash/24KB RAM, no NFC, 270 meters average range.
With Bluetooth 5 mesh network protocol stacks and BlueNor BT832 Series modules, no hardware redesign is needed to reach any node in mesh network. A host board design can accommodate all modules listed above. For wide area network, BT832X can be used in Relay node. For mesh networks with many nodes, BT840F with CryptoCell-310 co-processor is recommended for Relay node.
Open Source Bluetooth 5 Devices
- With market ready enclosure, you can begin marketing WiFi to BLE IoT gateway or BLE 5 sensor upon completion of firmware and software development.
- If you wish to develop your own products, use these WiFi to BLE IoT gateway and Bluetooth 5 sensor as examples for PCB layout, placement of mechanical components to reduce attenuation and interference of BLE signal for longer range.
Measuring Bluetooth Ranges in Mesh Networks
Bluetooth Mesh Evaluation board is preloaded with mesh protocol testing firmware. Up to 32000 nodes are supported. Each node can be addressed and controlled by smartphone. Two nodes (evaluation boards) are used for range measurements.
Procedures for measuring Bluetooth ranges.
- Download BlueNor Mesh User Manual from DOWNLOAD page.
- Download BlueNor Mesh APK from Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Follow Procedures to Send Message in Mesh Network in the manual.
- Test for the maximum range to receive an ACK from node B.
- Rotate Node A by 30 degrees and take 12 total measurements.
A Samsung phone is used to measure range with BT832. The second BT832 (Node B) is removed.
- Range is less directional when measured with a Samsung phone.
- Average range of 12 measurements between BT832 and a Samsung phone is 110 meters.
- Average range between two BT832 is 102 meters.
- Average range between two BT832F is 271 meters.
- Enclosure of final product will reduce Bluetooth range. Interference from other wireless sources, walls, and other physical objects will also reduce Bluetooth range. Bluetooth range in end user environment will be shorter.
We measured these ranges on a road in Shen Zhen, China. Both sides of road have grown trees forming a "green tunnel". We can not measure range for more than 400 meters at this site for BT832X. Range measurements for BT832X and BT832XE are done in a farmland east of Scottsdale Arizona USA.
11 Modules, Compatible Footprints for Upgradeable Memories, Features, Bluetooth Ranges
To accommodate high performance antenna and power amplifier, physical sizes of BT832 Series are different. However, the soldering pad footprint is identical for all modules. BT840 Series' footprints are superset of that of BT832 Series. Bluetooth range, memories, and features can be upgraded by replacing module only. No change to main board hardware is required. Multiple versions of the same product can be made to meet various requirements for mass deployment in mesh networks.
BT832, Low Cost BLE 5 Module
- Nordic nRF52832 QFAA with Cortex M4F at 64MHz
- 512KB flash/64KBRAM
- Bluetooth Line of Sight Range: 75 to 140 meters
- Complete RF solution with integrated antenna
- NFC-A tag interface for Out Of Band pairing
- 128-bit AES HW encryption
- Serial Wire Debug (SWD)
- Nordic SoftDevice Ready
- Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware update
32 GPIOs, firmware configurable and Peripherals
- 12 bit/200KSps ADC, 8 configurable channels with programmable gain
- Type 2 near field communication (NFC-A) tag
- 64 level comparator
- 15 level low power comparator with wake-up from system OFF mode
- Temperature sensor
- 3x 4-channel pulse width modulator (PWM) units with EasyDMA
- Digital microphone interface (PDM)
- 5x 32 bit timers with counter mode
- Up to 3x SPI Master/Slave with Easy DMA
- Up to 2x I2C compatible 2-wire master/slave
- I2S with EasyDMA
- UART (CTS/RTS) with EasyDMA
- Programmable peripheral interconnect (PPI)
- Quadrature Demodulator (QDEC)
- AES HW encryption with EasyDMA
- Autonomous peripheral operation without CPU intervention using PPI and Easy DMA
- 3x real time counter (RTC)
- Operation voltage: 1.7V to 3.6V
- Peak current: 5.4 mA RX, 7.5 mA TX at +4 dBm.
- 0.4 uA OFF mode, 1.8 uA idle
- Operation Temperature: -40°C to +85°C
- Sizes: 14.0x16.0x1.9mm
- Integrated shield to resist EMI
- FCC ID: X8WBT832
- IC (Industrial Canada) ID: 4100A-BT832
- Europe: Certified
- QDID: 97989
Datasheets, certificates, evaluation board schematics are available for download.
Evaluation Board EV BT832
EV BT832 is preloaded with BlueNor nRF5x application and SoftDevice S132 V5.0.0 Bluetooth 5 stacks. It can be used with Android app BlueNor nrf5x available at Google Play Store. You can send commands from an Android phone to toggle LED light on evaluation board. You can also send button pressing signal from evaluation board to Android device.
SDK and Android app source codes are available for download in the Bluetooth 5 Codes section of Download BlueNor Document. Other application codes can be downloaded from the same webpage.
To load other codes or to develop your own, a Nordic nRF52 DK is required but not included.
Price: $5.00 each at 1 pcs; $4.73 each for 1000-pcs Reel quantity
For volume discount and production lead time, please email Fanstel