BT840F, Nordic nRF52840 Bluetooth 5 Module, Secure IoT, IEEE 802.15.4 Thread, Zigbee, Bluetooth 5 Range 930 Meters
Bluetooth 5 Specs
Three key features of Bluetooth 5 specs for Bluetooth 5 products:
- 2X bandwidth to support 2Mbps data rate.
- 4X range to provide coverage of an entire home or building.
- 8X broadcasting message length from 31 bytes to 255 bytes.
Nordic nRF52832 SoC supports 2 Mbps data rate and firmware upgrade with new SoftDevices can transmit broadcasting messages up to 255 bytes long. All BlueNor modules, BC832, BT832, BT832F, and BT832X supports these two Bluetooth 5 specifications.
Bluetooth SIG CORE_v5.0 LE CODED PHY uses FEC (Forward Error Correction) codes, 8 or 2 symbols to represent 1 data bit, and 1 M Symbols per second (MSps) transmission rate. Effectively, the maximum data rate is 125 kbps when 8 symbols are used. This FEC coding allows receivers to receive much weaker signals and to increase range by 4 times.
Typical BLE 4.2 range is about 50 meters. This CODED-PHY can quadruple the range to about 200 meters at reduced data rate of 125 kbps. BlueNor BT832F uses a superior PCB trace antenna to increase Bluetooth range to 220/330 meters between 2 modules.
If you are developing a product meeting Bluetooth 5 specifications, BT832F is a better choice. It offers
- the same 4X range, 220/330 meters, enough coverage for a house or building
- the same data rate at 1Mbps, not at the reduced 125 kbps
- low peak current, 7.5 mA at +4 dBm transmission
- lower cost, $5.22 each at 1K pcs; $7.88 each for BT840F at 1K pcs.
BT840F, much more than a bluetooth 5 module
BT840F is a great choice if your Bluetooth 5 products need the following features:
- Ultra long range. For additional information on measuring Bluetooth 5 range between two BT840Fs, please go to Test reports & design recommendations page.
- 510 meters at 1Mbps
- 930 meters for CODED PHY.
- More memories (1MB flash/256KB RAM)
- Supports of IEEE 802.15.4, Thread and Zigbee
- More GPIOs (48)
- Secure data transmission
- Hacking prevention
Security for connected iot products
Security is a paramount consideration for the design of connectable IoT devices. A truly secure application must be designed from the ground up. An ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor is embedded in nRF52840. CryptoCell-310 provides the following key features:
- Cryptographic hardware engines, providing CPU host offloading, operation acceleration and power consumption reduction.
- Cryptography and security middleware services
- Platform Security building blocks libraries
- Device Life-Cycle-State management
- Key Management infrastructure
- Secure Boot.
Secured IoT products can be developed using BT840F.
Upgradeable Features and reducible cost
BT840F is designed to have the exactly physical size of BT832F, an nRF52832 module. Except 19 pins in solid black round dots, both modules are hardware pin to pin. Different firmware is required to configure and to implement different features.
Comparing to BT832F, BT840F has more flash memories and RAM, GPIOs, higher RF transmit power for longer Bluetooth range, and an ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor to implement secure IoT. When none of these is required, a BT832F can be used instead to reduce cost. If shorter Bluetooth range is acceptable, BT832 can be used for the lowest cost. In your hardware design, be sure to avoid bare metal contact in the additional pin area of BT840F to prevent shorting.
BT840F, Bluetooth 5 module Specifications
- Nordic nRF52840 QIAA with ARM Cortex M4F
- ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor
- 1MB flash, 256 KB RAM
- Complete RF solution with integrated antenna
- Multiple protocols: BLE, ANT, Thread, Zigbee
- NFC-A tag interface for Out Of Band pairing
- 128-bit AES HW encryption
- Serial Wire Debug (SWD)
- Nordic SoftDevice Ready
- Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware update
48 GPIOs, firmware configurable, Peripherals
- 12 bit/200KSps ADC
- 3x SPI Master/Slave, 8 Mbps
- 2x 2-wireMaster/Slave, I2C compatible
- Quadrature Demodulator (QDEC)
- I2S audio interface
- Digital microphone interface
- Peripherals: Temperature sensor, general comparator, Low power comparator, Random Number Generator
- 20 channel CPU independent Programmable Peripheral Interconnect (PPI)
- 5 x 32 bits, 3 x 24 bits Real Time Counters (RTC)
- Operation voltage: 1.7V to 5.5V
- Operation Temperature: -40°C to +85°C
- Integrated shield to resist EMI
- Bluetooth Line of Sight Range: 510 meters at 1Mbps, 930 meters for CODED PHY, measured at one angle. Maximum and minimum ranges around a circle are not measured yet.
- Sizes: 15.0x20.8x1.9mm
- Availability: sample now; pilot production possible in late May 2017.
- FCC ID:
- IC (Industrial Canada) ID:
For volume discount and production lead time, please email Fanstel.
To order module samples and evaluation boards.
BT840F, BLE 5 module, supports IEEE 802.15.4 Thread and Zigbee, CryptoCell 310 co-processor, 1MB flash/256KB RAM
$7.88 each at 1K pcs
Evaluation board for BT840F, Bluetooth 5 module for secure IoT
Nordic has not released SoftDevice S140 supporting mesh network. EV-BT840F is preloaded with firmware to test range with a smartphone.
You can load your firmware into EV-BT840F to evaluate its features.