Open Source WiFi to Long Range Bluetooth 5 IoT Gateway BWG832X
BWG832X is a low cost Bluetooth 5 to WiFi IoT gateway relaying messages between a cloud server and Bluetooth devices. Its long range, 1170 meters, will enable mass deployment of IoT Bluetooth 5 devices in industrial and agriculture applications.
- Gateways are in market ready enclosure. Upon completion of firmware and app development, you can begin marketing products.
- Our host board and enclosure design is an example for minimizing Bluetooth range degradation.
WiFi to Bluetooth 5 IoT Gateways
A Bluetooth to WiFi Gateway (BWG) relays messages from a cloud server to any node in a Bluetooth SIG mesh, other meshes, or in a point to multiple points application.
BWG832X is the simplest and the lowest cost Bluetooth 5 IoT bridge. It has 2 major components.
- A BlueNor BT832X Bluetooth 5 module.
- An ESP8266 WiFi module
Using WiFi to Connect to a Cloud Server
An ESP8266 WiFi module is used to establish and maintain internet connection through a WiFi router. Source codes for use with Mongoose OS are available for developing interface with cloud server. A Development Kit (DK) is required to load program into WiFi module. The USB cable assembly included in DK-BWG832X can be used to load program into WiFi module of production gateway BWG832X.
A set of demonstration codes for a BLE 5 sensor sending temperature and humidity data to a BWG832X connected to a Fanstel development server using MQTT protocols can be downloaded from Download OpenSource Document webpage.
The purpose of development server is to assist developers in early stage of development to trouble-shoot WiFi connection. To avoid overloading, gateways should be connected to a production server as soon as possible.
An Android phone app displaying temperature and humidity as below can be downloaded from the same webpage.
Hex and source codes for connecting to some production servers are available from Fanstel. An example is Google IoT Core.
Relaying Messages between Cloud and Bluetooth Devices
A Nordic nRF52 module communicates with cloud server in the message layers. nRF52 development environment shall be used for code development. Source codes are available.
The 64 MHz Cortex M4F MCU in nRF52 relays messages between a cloud server and any node in the mesh network.
Bootloader is preloaded in Bluetooth module. SoftDevice and application can be loaded by Over-The-Air firmware update. A TAG connect cable TC2050-IDC-NL-050-ALL can be used to connect to nRF52DK to load bootloader and other codes.
DK includes 10-pin connector and flat cable for loading codes. TAG connect cable assembly is not needed.
BWG832X, Long Range Gateway
BWG832X with BT832X module is a long range Bluetooth 5 to WiFi IoT gateway for point to point or small mesh network where security is not required or limited decryption and authentication can be implemented in firmware.
Its range to a node using the same module is 1170 meters, required for penetrating walls or wide-area mesh network.
- BT832X module with Cortex M4F MCU, 64 MHz with hardware DSP instructions and floating point unit. Flash/RAM: 512KB/64KB.
- Ai-thinker WiFi module with ESP8266. Supports IEEE802.11 b/g/n. 32-bit MCU, integrated TCP/IP stack.
- TAG connect pads for connection to Nordic nRF52DK using TAG connect cable TC2050-IDC-NL-050-ALL
- Size: 60x60x22mm
- Include an AC adapter and USB cable
- Desk or wall mountable
- Optional magnetic mount
- $36.65 each at 1K pcs
- Availability: preorder for May delivery.
Development Kit, DK BWG832X
A development kit is required to load firmware into ESP WiFi module.
A DK BWG832X includes the followings:
- A BWG832X with a 10-pin flat cable connector
- A USB cable assembly for (A) loading codes into WiFi module; (B) Sending data to WiFi interface (3) Sending data to Bluetooth interface.
- 10-pin connector and flat cable for connection to nRF52DK
- TAG connect pads for connection to Nordic nRF52DK
- Optional magnetic mount
- Availability: May 2018
For volume discount and production lead time, please email Fanstel
Bluetooth 5 to WiFi gateway. Size is 60x60x22mm with a wall mount bracket, AC adapter and USB cable.
USB cable assembly included in DK BWG832X only, is required to program WiFi module.
Relays messages between cloud server and Bluetooth devices.
$65.96 at 1 pcs; $51.30 each at 10 pcs; $43.98 each at 100-pcs; $36.65 each at 1000-pcs
Development kit for BWG832X Bluetooth 5 to WiFi Bridge.
Includes an enhanced BWG832X gateway, USB cable assembly, and flat cable.
DK BWG832X is required to load firmware into WIFi module. It is easier to load firmware into Bluetooth module by using a DK.