BT840, Low Cost nRF52840 Bluetooth 5, Thread, Zigbee Module
BT840 is an advanced, highly flexible solution for today's increasingly demanding Ultra Low Power, Ultra Long Range, and higher throughput applications in the IoT world. Inherent industry-grade security is essential in today's applications, an cryptographic accelerator is embedded.
BT840 is a lower cost, smaller size, shorter range alternative of BT840F. Both have identical soldering pad footprints. BT840 production will begin in Dec. 2017. For prototyping, please use BT840F, available now.
Sister module BT840E has an u.FL connector for external connector.
For a brief description of Bluetooth mesh and its requirements for security, please go to webpage BT840F.
BT840 Advanced Features
- Bluetooth 5 datarate: 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 500 Kbps, 125 kbps
- IEEE 802.15.4 Thread and Zigbee
- Nordic 2.4 GHz proprietary
- 1.7V to 3.6V DC power supply
- High voltage power supply to accept up to 5.5V DC for direct connection to Lithium batteries or 5V system power. An external voltage regulator is not required. Your total system cost can be lower and your PCB size can be smaller.
- Embedded CryptoCell 310 co-processor can be used to provide more secure connection and to prevent hacker.
- BT840 is required if your Bluetooth 5 devices are used in mesh networks with many nodes for desirable performance. Security is mandatory in Bluetooth mesh networks. By offloading decryption, encryption, and authentication works to CryptoCell-310, BT840 can deliver high performance in Bluetooth mesh networks.
- Nordic nRF52840 QIAA with ARM Cortex M4F
- ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor
- 1MB flash, 256 KB RAM
- Complete RF solution with integrated antenna
- Bluetooth range: 180 meters at 1Mbps, estimated
- Multiple protocols: BLE, ANT, Thread, Zigbee
- NFC-A tag interface for Out Of Band pairing
- 128-bit AES HW encryption
- Serial Wire Debug (SWD)
- Nordic SoftDevice Ready
- Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware update
48 GPIOs, firmware configurable, Peripherals
- 12 bit/200KSps ADC
- 3x SPI Master/Slave, 8 Mbps
- 2x 2-wireMaster/Slave, I2C compatible
- Quadrature Demodulator (QDEC)
- I2S audio interface
- Digital microphone interface
- Peripherals: Temperature sensor, general comparator, Low power comparator, Random Number Generator
- 20 channel CPU independent Programmable Peripheral Interconnect (PPI)
- 5 x 32 bits, 3 x 24 bits Real Time Counters (RTC)
- Operation voltage: 1.7V to 5.5V
- Operation Temperature: -40°C to +85°C
- Integrated shield to resist EMI
- Bluetooth Line of Sight Range: 180 meters at 1Mbps.
- Sizes: 14.0x16.0x1.9mm
- Availability: Production in Dec. 2017
- FCC ID:
- IC (Industrial Canada) ID:
For volume discount and production lead time, please email Fanstel.
Production begins in Dec. 2017.