BT840F, Nordic nRF52840 Bluetooth 5 Module, IEEE 802.15.4 Thread, Zigbee Module, Secure IoT
BT840F is an advanced, highly flexible solution for today's increasingly demanding Ultra Low Power, Ultra Long Range, and higher throughput applications in the IoT world. Inherent industry-grade security is essential in today's applications, an cryptographic accelerator is embedded.
BT840E is a sister module with an u.FL connector for an external antenna.
BT840F, More than a Bluetooth 5 Module
- Bluetooth 5 datarate: 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 500 Kbps, 125 kbps
- IEEE 802.15.4 Thread and Zigbee
- Nordic 2.4 GHz proprietary
- 1MB of flash memory
- 256KB of RAM
- 48 GPIO pins
More Options for Power Supply
- 1.7V to 3.6V DC power supply
- High voltage power supply to accept up to 5.5V DC for direct connection to Lithium batteries or 5V system power. An external voltage regulator is not required. Your total system cost can be lower and your PCB size can be smaller.
- BT840F uses a superior PCB trace antenna, proofed in BT832F module to have the longest range at +4 dBm transmission power at 1Mbps data rate.
- Adding +9dBm transmission power and 12 dB receiver gain (in theory) for FEC (Forward Error Correction) in CODED PHY, range between two BT840Fs will exceed 1000 meters when production silicon and production SoftDevice are ready.
- Range between 2 BT840F is measured at 930 meters with preproduction silicon and SoftDevice.
- Embedded CryptoCell 310 co-processor can be used to provide more secure connection and to prevent hacker.
More Easy for Cost Reduction
- Develop an IoT product using BT840F, $8.24 each at 1K pcs.
- If 220 meters range, 256KB flash/64KB RAM are enough, replace it with BT832F, $5.22 each at 1K pcs.
- If 75 meters range (100 meters with a Samsung phone) is enough, replace it with BT832, $4.73 each at 1Kpcs.
- No change to main board hardware is required.
Bluetooth 5 Specifications
Three key features of Bluetooth 5 specs for Bluetooth 5 products:
- 2X bandwidth to support 2Mbps data rate.
- 4X range to provide coverage of an entire home or building.
- 8X broadcasting message length from 31 bytes to 255 bytes.
Nordic nRF52832 SoC supports 2 Mbps data rate and firmware upgrade with new SoftDevices can transmit broadcasting messages up to 255-bytes long. All BlueNor modules, BC832, BT832, BT832F, and BT832X support these two Bluetooth 5 specifications.
Bluetooth SIG CORE_v5.0 LE CODED PHY uses FEC (Forward Error Correction) codes, 8 or 2 symbols to represent 1 data bit, and 1 M Symbols per second (MSps) transmission rate. Effectively, the maximum data rate is 125 kbps when 8 symbols are used. This FEC coding allows receivers to receive much weaker signals and to increase range by 4 times.
Typical BLE 4.2 range is about 50 meters. This CODED-PHY can quadruple the range to about 200 meters at reduced data rate of 125 kbps.
BlueNor BT832F uses a superior PCB trace antenna to increase Bluetooth range to 220/330 meters between 2 modules. If you are developing a product meeting Bluetooth 5 specifications, BT832F is a good, lower cost alternative.
BT840F is required if your Bluetooth 5 devices are used in mesh networks. Security is mandatory in Bluetooth mesh networks.
Security is Mandatory in Bluetooth 5 Mesh Networks
Mesh network, individual applications, and Bluetooth 5 devices are all secure. This cannot be switched off or reduced in anyway.
- All mesh messages are encrypted and authenticated.
- Network security, application security, and device security are addressed independently.
- Security keys can be changed during the life of the mesh network via a Key Refresh procedure.
- Message obfuscation makes it difficult to track messages sent within the network providing a privacy mechanism to make it difficult to track nodes.
- Mesh security protects the network against replay attacks.
- The process by which devices are added to the mesh network to become nodes, is itself a secure process.
- Nodes can be removed from network securely, in a way which prevents trashcan attacks.
Three security keys provide security to different aspects of the mesh and achieve a critical capability in mesh security, that of "separation of concerns".
- NetKey (network key) possessed by all nodes. It allows a node to decrypt and authenticate up to the Network Layer. A Relay node uses NetKey to decrypt and authenticate messages before relaying.
- AppKey (application key). Application data for specific application can only be decrypted by nodes possess the right AppKey.
- DevKey (device key) is unique to each node. It is used for secure communication with the Provisioner during provisioning process.
In a mesh network with many nodes, a lot of processing power is required for decryption and authentication at least for the Relay nodes and possibly for other nodes. BT840F using nRF52840 is embedded with an ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor. To achieve acceptable mesh network performance, BT840F should be used in mesh networks with many nodes.
CryptoCell-310 provides the following key features:
- Cryptographic hardware engines, providing CPU host offloading, operation acceleration and power consumption reduction.
- Cryptography and security middleware services
- Platform Security building blocks libraries
- Device Life-Cycle-State management
- Key Management infrastructure
- Secure Boot.
By offloading decryption, encryption, and authentication works to CryptoCell-310, BT840F can deliver high performance in Bluetooth mesh networks.
- Nordic nRF52840 QIAA with ARM Cortex M4F
- ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor
- 1MB flash, 256 KB RAM
- Complete RF solution with integrated antenna
- Multiple protocols: BLE, ANT, Thread, Zigbee
- NFC-A tag interface for Out Of Band pairing
- 128-bit AES HW encryption
- Serial Wire Debug (SWD)
- Nordic SoftDevice Ready
- Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware update
48 GPIOs, firmware configurable, Peripherals
- 12 bit/200KSps ADC
- 3x SPI Master/Slave, 8 Mbps
- 2x 2-wireMaster/Slave, I2C compatible
- Quadrature Demodulator (QDEC)
- I2S audio interface
- Digital microphone interface
- Peripherals: Temperature sensor, general comparator, Low power comparator, Random Number Generator
- 20 channel CPU independent Programmable Peripheral Interconnect (PPI)
- 5 x 32 bits, 3 x 24 bits Real Time Counters (RTC)
- Operation voltage: 1.7V to 5.5V
- Operation Temperature: -40°C to +85°C
- Integrated shield to resist EMI
- Bluetooth Line of Sight Range: 810 meters at 1Mbps.
- Sizes: 15.0x20.8x1.9mm
- Availability: sample now; pilot production possible in late May 2017.
- FCC ID:
- IC (Industrial Canada) ID:
For volume discount and production lead time, please email Fanstel.
To order module samples and evaluation boards.
EV BT840F has the same footprint as Arduino UNO R3. It is not an Arduino compatible board. You need Nordic development tools for firmware development.
Most of Arduino UNO R3 shields can be used with EV BT840F. You can take advantage of Bluetooth 5 advanced features when used with Arduino shields.
A single order is preloaded with SLAVE firmware for used with Nordic nRF connect.
A 2-pack consists of one board with MASTER firmware and one board with SLAVE firmware for Bluetooth range testing.
After range testing, you can load your firmware into EV-BT840F to evaluate other features.