BT840F, Nordic nRF52840 Bluetooth 5 Module, IEEE 802.15.4 Thread, Zigbee Module, Secure IoT
BT840F is an advanced, highly flexible solution for today's increasingly demanding Ultra Low Power, Ultra Long Range, and higher throughput applications in the IoT world. Inherent industry-grade security is essential in today's applications, an cryptographic accelerator is embedded.
BT840F, More than a Bluetooth 5 Module
- Bluetooth 5 datarate: 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 500 Kbps, 125 kbps
- IEEE 802.15.4 Thread and Zigbee
- Nordic 2.4 GHz proprietary
- 1MB of flash memory
- 256KB of RAM
- 48 GPIO pins
More Options for Power Supply
- 1.7V to 3.6V DC power supply
- High voltage power supply to accept up to 5.5V DC for direct connection to Lithium batteries or 5V system power. An external voltage regulator is not required. Your total system cost can be lower and your PCB size can be smaller.
- BT840F uses a superior PCB trace antenna, proofed in BT832F module to have the longest range at +4 dBm transmission power at 1Mbps data rate.
- Adding +9dBm transmission power and 12 dB receiver gain (in theory) for FEC (Forward Error Correction) in CODED PHY, range between two BT840Fs will exceed 1000 meters when production silicon and production SoftDevice are ready.
- Range between 2 BT840F is measured at 930 meters with preproduction silicon and SoftDevice.
- Embedded CryptoCell 310 co-processor can be used to provide more secure connection and to prevent hacker.
More Easy for Cost Reduction
- Develop an IoT product using BT840F, $7.88 each at 1K pcs.
- If 220 meters range, 256KB flash/64KB RAM are enough, replace it with BT832F, $5.22 each at 1K pcs.
- If 75 meters range (100 meters with a Samsung phone) is enough, replace it with BT832, $4.73 each at 1Kpcs.
- No change to main board hardware is required.
Bluetooth 5 Specifications
Three key features of Bluetooth 5 specs for Bluetooth 5 products:
- 2X bandwidth to support 2Mbps data rate.
- 4X range to provide coverage of an entire home or building.
- 8X broadcasting message length from 31 bytes to 255 bytes.
Nordic nRF52832 SoC supports 2 Mbps data rate and firmware upgrade with new SoftDevices can transmit broadcasting messages up to 255-bytes long. All BlueNor modules, BC832, BT832, BT832F, and BT832X support these two Bluetooth 5 specifications.
Bluetooth SIG CORE_v5.0 LE CODED PHY uses FEC (Forward Error Correction) codes, 8 or 2 symbols to represent 1 data bit, and 1 M Symbols per second (MSps) transmission rate. Effectively, the maximum data rate is 125 kbps when 8 symbols are used. This FEC coding allows receivers to receive much weaker signals and to increase range by 4 times.
Typical BLE 4.2 range is about 50 meters. This CODED-PHY can quadruple the range to about 200 meters at reduced data rate of 125 kbps.
BlueNor BT832F uses a superior PCB trace antenna to increase Bluetooth range to 220/330 meters between 2 modules. If you are developing a product meeting Bluetooth 5 specifications, BT832F is a good, lower cost alternative.
Upgradeable Features and reducible cost
BT840F is designed to have the exactly physical size of BT832F. Except 21 pins in solid black round dots, both modules are hardware pin to pin. Different firmware is required to configure and to implement different features.
Comparing to BT832F, BT840F has more flash memories and RAM, GPIOs, higher RF transmit power for longer Bluetooth range, and an ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor to implement secure IoT. When none of these is required, a BT832F can be used instead to reduce cost. If shorter Bluetooth range is acceptable, BT832 can be used for the lowest cost. On your main PCB, be sure to avoid bare metal contact in the additional pin area of BT840F to prevent shorting.
- If you develop your product using BT840F, you can replace it with a BT832F or BT832 to reduce cost without changing the main board.
- If you develop your product using BT832/BT832F and Thread or Zigbee is required by one of customers, BT840F can be mounted on the same main board instead.
Security for connected IoT products
Security is a paramount consideration for the design of connectable IoT devices. A truly secure application must be designed from the ground up. An ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor is embedded in nRF52840. CryptoCell-310 provides the following key features:
- Cryptographic hardware engines, providing CPU host offloading, operation acceleration and power consumption reduction.
- Cryptography and security middleware services
- Platform Security building blocks libraries
- Device Life-Cycle-State management
- Key Management infrastructure
- Secure Boot.
Secured IoT products can be developed using BT840F.
- Nordic nRF52840 QIAA with ARM Cortex M4F
- ARM CryptoCell-310 cryptographic co-processor
- 1MB flash, 256 KB RAM
- Complete RF solution with integrated antenna
- Multiple protocols: BLE, ANT, Thread, Zigbee
- NFC-A tag interface for Out Of Band pairing
- 128-bit AES HW encryption
- Serial Wire Debug (SWD)
- Nordic SoftDevice Ready
- Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware update
48 GPIOs, firmware configurable, Peripherals
- 12 bit/200KSps ADC
- 3x SPI Master/Slave, 8 Mbps
- 2x 2-wireMaster/Slave, I2C compatible
- Quadrature Demodulator (QDEC)
- I2S audio interface
- Digital microphone interface
- Peripherals: Temperature sensor, general comparator, Low power comparator, Random Number Generator
- 20 channel CPU independent Programmable Peripheral Interconnect (PPI)
- 5 x 32 bits, 3 x 24 bits Real Time Counters (RTC)
- Operation voltage: 1.7V to 5.5V
- Operation Temperature: -40°C to +85°C
- Integrated shield to resist EMI
- Bluetooth Line of Sight Range: 810 meters at 1Mbps.
- Sizes: 15.0x20.8x1.9mm
- Availability: sample now; pilot production possible in late May 2017.
- FCC ID:
- IC (Industrial Canada) ID:
For volume discount and production lead time, please email Fanstel.
To order module samples and evaluation boards.
EV BT840F has the same footprint as Arduino UNO R3. It is not an Arduino compatible board. You need Nordic development tools for firmware development.
Most of Arduino UNO R3 shields can be used with EV BT840F. You can take advantage of Bluetooth 5 advanced features when used with Arduino shields.
A single order is preloaded with SLAVE firmware for used with Nordic nRF connect.
A 2-pack consists of one board with MASTER firmware and one board with SLAVE firmware for Bluetooth range testing.
After range testing, you can load your firmware into EV-BT840F to evaluate other features.